Monday, March 30, 2009

Right to Bare Arms

Just what the hell is happening in the press lately regarding Michelle Obama’s choice of dress? Seems that there are some who find it necessary to consider her figure flattering style of sleeveless sheath that seems to be her favorite garment, weird garb for the winter season. Just WHAT is the big deal? Her arms are toned, she does not have wing like flaps of flab assaulting the Canadian Prime Minister when she waves an arm in the general direction of the oval office. She’s tasteful and fashionable. So just what is it that is so offensive?

We are. We like to elect officials and icons that we would fight for during the campaign, then when they are fully hoisted up for all to examine, we pick ‘em apart in the press in lieu of a slow news day or better yet, in lieu of more coverage of natural disasters and world hunger. It’s true! The old wives comment that states, “If you don’t have anything nice to say, why, sit over here by me dear.” (insert southern drawl, a la Steel Magnolia’s)

We (collectively speaking, I’m not saying that I personally do this-oh, all right, I’m just as guilty as all of you! Point, point, point.) do this same thing with our movie stars. Seems we make them popular, watch their shows/movies, buy the magazines, and then proceed to cut them apart to make our insecurities seem smaller I guess.

I blame the press. I think we need to read blogs more – because we all KNOW that blogs are more or less supportive and forgiving. BAH! That’s surely not IT!

Michelle, if you’re listening, I think your dresses are awesome, but I’ll have to wear a sweater. My arms have yet to see 20 reps of upper arm strength training and frankly, I get a little chilly

5 comments:

Brandi said...

I agree with you I think she dresses pretty nice. I remember after the Inagrual Ball, people saying that the white dress she wore was not appropriate, I liked it. I thought she looked like a very fashionable First Lady.

Robin said...

I have a girl crush on Michelle Obama, she has amazing style!

Susan said...

I would certainly trade bodies with her, even the booty! She knows what looks good on her and sticks with what works. I had arms like that about 5 years ago. Sadly, those arms belong to someone else now. :(

JackeeG4glamorous said...

Susan, OMG! They belong to Michelle Obama!

Susan said...

Damn her! Think I can steal them back? Just have to get past her security detail.....