Friday, January 23, 2009

Where's the Beef?

Thanks for sticking around all week, peeking into my recipes for quick soups to make and eat, most only take 30 minutes or so from prep to plate (I mean bowl)

But, Jackee, you ask, Where’s the Beef?

Ok, here’s my quick Beef Barley Vegetable Soup recipe to bring an end to “Soup Week” here at the Scissor household. My feet still haven't thawed yet from our midwestern winter's deep freeze!

1 lb. cubed beef stew meat
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic minced
5 cups water
1 can diced tomatoes
½ cup celery diced thin
1 cup carrots diced small
Bag of frozen mixed vegetables
(Sometimes I add ½ bag of frozen green beans and save ½ the bag for another meal, because I really like green beans in the soup)
2 beef bouillon cubes
Salt and pepper to taste
½ teaspoon basil or oregano adds a little flavor as well but it’s optional
¾ cup Quaker Oats Quick Barley

In large saucepan or soup pot, brown meat, onion and garlic adding a little water so the meat will brown, or stew a little without burning. Add remaining ingredients except frozen vegetables and bring to a boil, cover. Reduce heat and simmer, but stir now and then, maybe about 15 minutes. Add frozen veggies and simmer until tender, about another 15 minutes.

Add more water or a can of beef broth if soup becomes thick when standing or after refrigeration.

Sometimes I make this on the weekend to take to work all week. I get my daily serving of veggies, and it fills me up!

T.G.I.F. everyone!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I have been so out of it lately, I'm just now getting to stop by. I'll have to go back and read all your soup recipes, but since I really hate to cook, I may not ever actually make any of them. That and my family is not big on soup. I'm sure you'll need some soup to warm you up this weekend as the temps go way down again.

dianna said...

So do I drain the tomatoes? I swear I need someone to hold my hand when I cook....AAARRRGGGHHH!

JackeeG4glamorous said...

Di,
No, the more liquid the merrier!
Hey! I miss you on your blog...what's up?